Monday, May 1, 2017

Laundry- money and time saving tips!

Well I'll have you know laundry isn't on my list of fun these days; but with that said laundry does tend to get a bad rap at times. 

I sometimes enjoy laundry, and I sometimes loathe laundry.  However I do feel at times that laundry can be grounding.  It can cause you to slow down.  Stay indoors and chill back, and do some mundane tasks.  I know some people who watch movies while they fold and do it all in one day, and others who do one load a day and call it good. 

I can be either or.  Sometimes I do it all in a day and sometimes I do it through out the week.  I think I do prefer to do the majority of it all in one day.  When I focus on one task at a time I can get more into a groove/rhythm.  Mondays seem to be a good day for laundry.  Catching up from the weekend, and trying to figure out how all of these clothes got strung out all over the floor?

Here are a few things we do around our house to cut back on laundry time, no matter how much I might enjoy it ;)

1.  Keep the kids clothes to a minimum-  This is easier said than done.  Kids are constantly changing sizes, and it seems like the weather is so fickle at times you never know what clothes to have around.  Or there is a gift from friends or family that adds to the clothing pile. Being up on my clothing game is hard.  My goal/aim is to have 4-5 outfits for my kids.  2 church outfits and 2 pairs of pajamas.  That is all I feel they need/ all I feel I can handle with laundry.  

2. Having a designated towel-  One thing that has helped cut back on towel laundry is having our own designated color of towel.  My kids know which one is theirs and there is never any fighting over who gets who towels. Or she/he stole my towel.  It is a simple concept and I am glad we took the plunge to do it.  Now only if my husband and I could get on board with that concept!  We will end up washing the towels about 1-2 times per week.

3. I prefer to use a more natural type of detergent.  I will splurge more on a good laundry soap one  like seventh generation and just use less soap when I put it in the washing machine.

Seventh Generation™ Natural Liquid Laundry Detergent - Blue Eucalyptus and Lavender (150 oz)

Seventh Generation
 
I am a huge fan of lavender and could smell this scent all day!   

4.  Washing clothing in cold water.  I heard once upon a time that a lot of the electric bill was from the use the hot water heater.  This way I am not using more electricity then I have to.  I am sure my clothes could possibly be a littler cleaner if I would wash them in hot water but unless the load is really soiled, I stick with cold water.  

5.  Short cycle-  Somtimes I will also save time and money by using the 15 minute washing option on my washer.  I love it.  It is fast and I haven't really noticed a difference in cleanliness.  However if the kids have some clothing that is pretty bad you can bet that I will put if for the full cycle!
 
*oH and last tip, I know my mohter will cringe when she reads this....  I would say 80% of the time I don't fold my kids laundry or my laundry.  I will hang the dresses/ nicer items of my kids and then the rest I just put in their drawer unfolded... I do hang a lot of my clothing as well.  I feel like it can be easier/faster to hang then to fold.
 
 

Hope this was helpful for you.  What are some of your laundry saving money and time tips?  Let's hear what ya got for me!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment